[RC] Pink Flamingo Classic - Steph Teeter

A new ride this year, in the mountains of Idaho - it was fantastic! First
time ride managers Sally Tarbet and Linda Walberg (and spouses and friends)
pulled off a perfect weekend. A 2-day ride, in the forest (much cooler than
the heat wave we've been experiencing in the desert), with wonderful
trails - good footing, scenic, very nice. Base camp was a huge mountain
meadow, lots of room for rigs and grass for horses. John and I couldn't get
there for the first day, we arrived on Saturday afternoon, most of the
riders had finished by then, and everybody was grinning. It was hot, but
folks were really enjoying themselves. And Pink Flamingos were everywhere.
Very fun and festive.

Suzie Hayes and Quincy (Tezero's Gold) took first and BC on the Day 1 50.
Day 2 winners were Carey Johnson on Bahgeera, tying with Amanda Wroblewski
and CRA Samurai. CRA Samurai took BC.

We rode the 50 on Sunday - a pokey 50 since we haven't had much time at home
to condition. John rode Quickie (Nature's Quicksilver), our Arab/Orlov
Trotter mare, who has given us ten years of great trails as well as two
lovely babies. She's 15 and still strong and tough and hard headed :)  I
rode my newish horse - a 15.3 black arabian gelding that I've had my eye on
for several years  - and finally events sent him my way last year. This is
his first year of rides and we're taking it easy. I don't know if he'll ever
be great, but I really really like him. Sweet, gentle, tall, smooth gaits,
lots of personality. I've named him 'Gaucho' :)

We spent most of the day alone, not quite turtles, but pretty pokey, and
really enjoyed the forest and the relaxing day. It got a little long... (it
can be a challenge going slow) - but we finished with an hour to spare, and
plenty of spring left in the horses. Nice day. And really really nice ride.
I hope they do it again!

we put a few photos up at http://www.endurance.net/rides/pinkflamingogallery

Steph