[RC] Tevis... my ride story, losing my family member to cancer - Antuzzi, Char

Title: Tevis... my ride story, losing my family member to cancer

Hello,
I am writing this letter in honor of a loved one. Rich Gish, the husband to Cindy Gish, my mom and dad. . Last year I rode in honor of Rich, whom was fighting cancer. All through the night, when I wanted to quit, I'd think of Rich and Cindy, how they couldn't give up. Knowing that, helped me continue down that Tevis trail to the finish line.

This year, Rich lost his battle with cancer. I am torn about should I ride Tevis, or should I not. I think Rich would have wanted me to contine to ride on his behalf. On Aug 5th, I will have 100 miles and 24 hours to think about the life that Rich and Cindy gave to me.

Cindy has been a endurance rider for years, way before AERC ride records, elytes, tights, ariats, half chaps and treeless saddles. They rode with sponges wrapped around their knees with ace bandages. Steel shoes and roping saddles were the norm. If it weren't for my family I'd not be into endurance. I wouldn't learn the bond I share with a special horse that carried me down the Tevis trail all through the night last year.

Cindy Gish (Northern) rode many years in enduarance. She had ridden side by side with some of the greats of this sport, Julie, Tellington, Smokey, Dru Barner, the very people that we look up to in this sport. She has put her life on hold to take care of her husband, to be there for him through his dying days. I know that she's donated time, money, gifts etc to Tevis. A few years ago, hauling horses out of Robinson's Flat, donating gifts to the Christmas party, etc. Even though she isn't riding, she is very much involved with not only Tevis, but the sport of endurance.

I have decided to ride this year, a very hard decision but feel its what my family would want me to do. Rich was for the living, only a few weeks before his death my family loaded him up on his sail boat. Mom and I had our horses, he had his sailing.  I hope he is looking down on me, riding that long trail and giving me the strength to contine on. For years he was a truck driver and his truck number was #58, this was also his CB (way prior to cell phones) handle. So I had requested the number #58 in his honor. I hope to have the same number this year.  For some reason, Bobbie Pomeroy who was riding for her sister whom passed away from breast cancer and I met up on Tevis. We rode together, many many miles together. We shared a bond, two people riding for loved ones taken with cancer.

Most of you don't know Cindy or Rich Gish, but please, take a moment and think about your life, your Tevis ride, your family. Life goes by quickly, be thankful for each and every day.

Cindy got her Tevis buckle, its a family tradition I suppose, as I got mine last year. This year will be even more special if I get a buckle. After I cross that finish line I'll be on my way to my families, to celabrate life, not death. He was here for me last year, crossing that finish line, it just won't be the same without him there.  Saying good bye to a family memeber that has seen me ride year after year. I ride this years Tevis in his honor, Rich Gish. I hope you know just how loving, caring and brilliant this man was. He cared about Tevis, the trails, the life of endurance. Even though he doesn't have one AERC ride under his belt, I can assure you he lived and breathed horse.

So pop, I know you're not here on this earth with me, but please know, I am riding Tevis, knowing your right beside me.

With love,
Char Antuzzi