[RC] learning about physics, weight, etc. - Ed Kilpatrick

well, this has all been rather interesting, and educational.  other things to consider, and some may have mentioned, the individual athletic ability of a particular horse can defy logic AND physics.  since a horse is a large, strong animal, and an endurance horse in particular is generally a well conditioned, large, strong animal, the effects of added weight can be negligible. when dealing with a percentage of the horse's body weight, adding twenty or even fifty pounds might be as insignificant as adding five pounds of weight in the backpack of a well trained soldier.  i am not a big guy, but i am pretty strong for my size.  when i was young and in my prime, i could lift 520 lbs. i dont know if i could still do it, but i might just try it and report back about that. many people twice my size couldnt lift that much weight.  that kind of ability has a lot to do with muscle and tendon strength, as well as knowing how to use those muscles in the most efficient manner.   its the same with horses.   some of them, just by virtue of how they are put together and wired up, can just perform better than other horses, even if they are required to carry more weight while doing it.
     lets face it.  there are some things the finite mind has no business prying into.  figuring all this out may be one of those things.   ok, i'm done.   just wanted to use a few big words and show off my sixth grade education.  sorry it took a while, but i just now figured out what this percussion was containing to.             cowboy ed