RE: [RC] The Physics of Weight - heidi

> So any body who says "More weight equals more work as an object is moved. Just Physics, just the facts." doesn't have a very good understanding of physics.

Bingo.

> p.s. Contrary to Heidi's statement, I am not currently an engineer by trade, although working in an architecture firm exposes me to them on a regular basis.  I am, however, an engineer by upbringing, and it is the family trade (and has been for generations).

Thanks for the clarification.  General concept still applies... <g>

>  But I didn't need to dust off my old physics text books to remember the principles of physics.  I apply them in my daily life when I move a bale of hay.  And because I appear to have a better understanding of physics than a lot of people here, I was willing to shell out some cash for a dolly so that I could use the principles of physics to reduce the work associated with moving heavy objects by increasing their weight.  Since Home Depot does a brisk business in dollys even to patrons who have never taken a physics class in their lives, you don't have to crack a physics text book to understand the concept.

Touché.  Alas, most folks go about their daily lives and never think about the principles of physics that make them able to do things.

And horses are really AMAZING sets of levers--one of the things that one gets into in the study of conformation and biomechanics is how different relative lengths of bones and angles at which ihey interact at joints has a very profound effect on how well the whole mechanism functions to carry weight over distance.  And even a poorly-conformed horse can propel my weight over distance with far less work than I can do it, since I am not anywhere near as efficiently designed for such a pursuit as a horse.

Heidi
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=