Re: [RC] Weight - Truman Prevatt

A couple of years ago I didn't get to ride a lot in the fall so I went to a ride to just get around. It was a 25 mile loop with an out check. The 50's did it twice. At the 25 mile check in camp I though that I may have gone too fast for the old boys condition at the time and decided to slow down. The conditions were also muddy. He seemed a little tired although his CRI was 60/48 and all other parameters good which should have registered. Being an old softy, I took the bit out and put a side pull on. Well I was being sandbagged big time.

A mile out he saw a horse in front of him. He threw in a big buck and took off. I'm not sure if he cared if I was with him or not. Here I have a side pull. Oh well we make great time to the check passing a bunch of horses - with the Jbird sticking out his tongue as we go by with his brain dead rider having to apologize for not having any control with the sidepull silly ;-) .

We fly through the check and leave. wWe come to this open field and he spots a bunch of horses and wants to race. I have had it by then and we do some circles. From that point on we walk. He was not happy - I was cutting into his play time. If looks could kill I'd been dead right then. We walked the last 6 or 7 miles in.

When I arrived I announced that "this horse is for sell." Three tiny hinies showed interest - all saying it is a tiny hiny's dream to have a horse that has long term conditioning by a HW. So me thinks they talk out of both sides of their mouth - must be a defense mechanism coming into play.

So I just dismiss the whole debate.

Truman ( who has been outsmarted by a horse for the last time - or at least next to the last time)

Bruce Weary DC wrote:
But, Heidi, the heart rate/pulse recovery thing happens on all my horses when either of my kids or my wife rides them, versus that which happens when I'm on them. You're saying that my kids and my wife must have better equitation/riding skill than I do under all circumstances on all horses?
Reminds me of the drunk who is on his knees under a street lamp looking for his car keys. A passerby offers to help, but doesn't see them. He asks "How did you lose them?" To which the drunk replies, "I dropped them in the house, but the light is better out here."
To me, the most obvious and constant factor is the extreme weight difference. Stop looking under the streetlamp for something that isn't there. Heisman had 3,500 miles over ten years. He had plenty of time to "condition to my weight." Dr Q

--

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” Steven Weinberg – Nobel Laureate, Physics