Re: [RC] Definition of Champion? - Joe Long

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 23:58:30 -0400, Truman Prevatt
<tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And if there is any new awards offered by the AERC Decade Teams should
be top on the list.

For new awards, I agree.

The basic problem lies IMO in two directions. First endurance is a big
tent. It's something different to different people. To some it is
longevity. To some it putting on high mileage seasons and yes to some it
is winning. To some anything short of a 100 shouldn't count . To some LD
is their choice event. While some members may not like some of this and
voice it regularly on the list - the AERC welcomes all in the tent. So
when you throw a mix that broad together it is difficult to determine
just what a champion is.

True, although the so-called "trailer race" season-points system we
had up until the mid-1980's has IMO done the best job, with the widest
consensus among the members, to date.  I believe a solid majority of
endurance riders consider performance over many rides, keeping the
same horse fit and sound, to be of high importance.

The second issue as I see it is there are some that want to turn the
clock back. History normally teaches that not only is it very difficult
to do so - it is normally the wrong direction since conditions evolve in
time and the conditions that were in place a few years ago no longer
exist. For example a great trailer race of NC would not be very feasible
today since we have less than half the number of 100's now as when it
was in place and gas back then was about 1/3 of what it is today.

Gas today is about the same as it was back then, counting inflation.

When I was Reserve National Champion for the first time, there were NO
100's in the East after July.  None.

A bigger issue is the one Randy raises about the multi-days, as they
didn't exist then.  But I'm not convinced they will be as big a factor
as he thinks.

I don't expect this topic to ever really be solved in that I don't
expect a broad consensus in how the champion should be selected either.
The current process seems to be working as well as any and better than
most - despite the few vocal opponents.

I guess you count me as one of a "few vocal opponents," but the thing
is -- the current process is NOT working well.  Despite all the
efforts over nearly 20 years now of trying different approaches, IMO
none has worked as well as season-long points and a single National
Champion did.
--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx