RE: [RC] Definition of Champion? - heidi

Well, no, Truman--it doesn't welcome all in the tent.  It threw out of the tent those who feel that a champion is one who can endure for a whole season.  What is the harm in at least recognizing those top horse/rider teams?  Why are you and a few others so paranoid about that?  You can still have your FEI-style winner-take-all NC sort of champion.  You can still have all those other winners.  But what on earth does it hurt to at least RECOGNIZE that there is a champion horse/rider team who rode the whole season and earned more points than any other team?

This is the ONLY instance that I can recall in the entire history of AERC where we had to kill off an award to try to give meaning to a bunch of other awards.  And that is just plain wrong.

I applaud the "big tent" concept, and I've always been supportive of the varions "competitions within the competition" for such things as families, married couples, stallions, etc.  But I don't have to eliminate the family award in order to enjoy my Jim Jones stallion placings.  There was absolutely NO REASON to have to eliminate the points championship in order to have a one-ride winner as well--except for the fact that deep down, those who promulgated the newer "championship" systems wanted the name, and knew deep down that folks would still remember the points champion.

Heidi

The basic problem lies IMO in two directions. First endurance is a big
tent. It's something different to different people. To some it is
longevity. To some it putting on high mileage seasons and yes to some it
is winning. To some anything short of a 100 shouldn't count . To some LD
is their choice event. While some members may not like some of this and
voice it regularly on the list - the AERC welcomes all in the tent.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=