RE: [RC] Weight--Long - heidi

Bruce, don't confuse the weight of the HORSE with the weight he is carrying.  No matter who rides the horse, HIS body mass is going to have to cool down, so HIS size is indeed an issue here.  That is unrelated to the weight that he is carrying.  (And Susan found no correlation between ability to do the job and the ratio between rider weight and horse weight--she had horses in her study carrying over 31% of their body weight in rider and tack.  That's you, riding a 750 lb horse--which should be able to cool quite well, given that it has less body mass than some.)  Truman's concept applies to heavy HORSES, not to horses carrying heavy riders!

The featherweight winners of Tevis also often run much of the trail--I know Becky Fiedler did.  So what's your point there??

I was not the one who mentioned having a heavier rider condition the horse--and I don't set all that much store by that notion.  When I've seen the performance improve in such cases, the lighter rider was invariably a far better rider, too.

With regard to your illustration of carrying a pail of water, go back to Kat's bridge-building exercise.  When you suspend the weight out on an appendage, it has a far different effect than if you put it on your body in a place where you can pack it.  I can't pack a 50 lb salt block hanging on a handle in my hand more than 10 or 20 feet, and yet I can trot from my house to the barn quite nimbly with a 50 lb grain sack over my shoulder when I forget to park by the barn and unload it, even given the fact that I am very unfit and not all that tough anymore.  I suspect your horse would have some real issues with your weight if you suspended yourself in a sling off of one side of him, instead of sitting well balanced in a saddle on his back in a spot where he can carry weight easily.

The 1/20th figure comes from energy expenditure and oxygen uptake experiments, if memory serves--someone correct me if I'm wrong.  You've probably got more access to the literature at the moment than I do, since I've given up all my lit search subscriptions in my retirement, but that figure is taught in physiology classes, and is well backed up by good science.  Nothing missing--sorry.

As for tissue stresses--certainly weight has an effect there.  Again, see Garlinghouse.  She found a statistically significant rise in lameness pulls when the TOTAL weight of horse and rider exceeded 1200 lbs, but NO statistical increase with an increase in the ratio of rider weight to horse weight.  Intuitively one suspects that has to happen at some point--but as I've already mentioned, she had horses in the study where the rider weight exceeded 31% of the horse weight, which would be the equivalent of you on a 750 lb horse.  And given your weight, you could actually ride a horse as heavy as 965 lbs without crossing that 1200 lb line, which would put you at less than 25% of your horse's weight.  So you're a long way from being heavy enough for your weight to be an issue in that regard....

Heidi

Heidi--
I'm not saying that weight is the overall determinant of a horse's
outcome or performance. All other details must be attended to as well.
Feed management, equitation, pacing, shoeing, etc.,. There is a constant
with weight, however. It always requires more energy to move that
heavier weight. Horses are not alchemists. Kat will remember from her
high school physics class that neither energy nor mass are either
created or destroyed. And Truman noted that the heavy weight horse will
produce more body heat that must be dissipated as a result of the extra
load. This puts an additional energy demand on the horse that is related
to the extra weight, that a lighter weight rider advantageously  needn't
overcome. These energy demands are constants on the endurance horse that
can be overcome with other strategies. But they must be overcome. If
significant extra weight isn't being carried, that's that many fewer
factors that the horse and rider must overcome, thus an advantage is held.
  Chris Knoch overcame his weight disadvantage by training hard, and
running almost a third of the distance of the Tevis trail on foot. Kudos
to him. It did, however, significantly reduce the amount of miles and
time the horse had to carry his weight. Why did he need that strategy to
win? Is it because he simply enjoys running up and down 2,000 foot
canyons in 110 degree heat when he has a perfectly good horse right next
to him? Another example of the extra work and preparation a heavyweight
rider must go to to not only level the playing field, but to tilt it in
his favor. It can be done, and is done from time to time. But again,
there is more expected of the heavyweight to produce the same result as
a lighter rider--not only in terms of performance on ride day, but in
how the horse looks the day after, and in long term soundness. These are
the issues that aren't readily apparent to most of us because rarely do
people announce the health/soundness problems of their horse the week
after they did particularly well at a ride.
  MMS rides as a middleweight.
 One can always find anecdotal examples to show that something can be
done. Anecdotal examples don't prove or explain a trend, though. And,
Kat, endurance riding isn't a game of chance, like playing the lotto or
roulette. It only takes one heavyweight to beat the field. Having fewer
heavyweights in a field isn't the prime factor to explain their fewer
successes in performing against all other lighter riders.
  Heidi, you mentioned that a rider can gain an advantage by having a
heavier rider condition it, and then having the lighter rider compete on
it. How very right you are. Now I know you know your physiology, as
well. The law of Demand and Supply says that tissues adapt in accordance
with the stresses put on them. Marathon runners look like marathon
runners. Weight lifters look like weight lifters. The body doesn't get
confused about that. And a horse that carries more weight, must recruit
more muscle fibers that must then produce more strength of contraction
to move that weight. The result is a conditioning response in a horse
that gets stronger because he has carried more weight. Again, I say that
the horse carrying more weight works harder. If he is not working
harder, why does Father Nature endow him with greater physical
attributes with the more weight he carries, the greater distances he
travels, the more sprints he does, the higher jumps he goes over, etc.,?
 And as far as the 1/20th ratio figure you gave, Heidi, regarding the
difference in effect on aerobic vs anaerobic work, something has got to
be missing there. Most of us have carried a 40 lb pail of water from a
water tank to our trailer for a hundred yards or more at a fast walk.
Pretty anaerobic when you arrive, right? Try carrying it even one mile
at a stroll and without switching hands. It should only feel like four
pounds, right? You might counter by saying carrying it even at a stroll
would still keep you anaerobic. There's that physiological effect of
significant weight again. Just sittin' there lickin' it's chops.    Dr
Q, who may lift a few 12 ouncers tonight. Aerobically, of course.