Re: [RC] Fw: [RideManagers_of_AERC] Race of Champions? - Truman Prevatt

I've been around for three different NC formats. The first was a "points race" for the top. This became known as the "great trailer race" because it was more about who could trailer the greatest number of miles than who had the best horse. That was in the days when there were between 80 and 90 100 mile rides a year, vs. the 39 or 40 we have today. This format would be even more an award for the best trailer and rider with the most time to travel today than it was then. I don't remember the name of anyone that won the NC in those days.

Then came the National Championship Series - which was slightly different but a trailer raise non-the same. One regional championship ride each region. The rider with the most points in those rides was the winner. I don't remember if there was an over all winner - but I do remember that there were weight division winners.

Then there is todays format which has a lot going for it IMO. First it travels around - region to region. Second it is not a trailer race.

As far as remembering names. I don't remember any names from the "great trailer race era." I only remember two from the NCS series since I knew them both. I remember one from the current format. I think that's more because I knew them than the fact that the national championship is such a big deal that it sticks out. As far as ROC winners, I don't remember any of the names.

What seems clear is there is no consensus about how an AERC NC should be selected. Every format has a sufficient number of detractors that one has to wonder if the AERC should even be in the National Championship business. The one thing about the ROC was it was a private ride. Some years it wasn't even AERC sanctioned. It did not pretend to claim that the winner was the AERC national champion. There are a lot of gussy memories about how wonderful the qualification criteria were vs. the criteria for the current NC. However, I'm not sure that the qualification criteria wasn't more of a marketing ploy - and a very good one I might add - than anything else. Also with the decline in 100 mile riderships today I'm not sure a ride with those criteria would even be economically feasible.

The thing to remember about the current NC is - it was based on the desires of the riders. In surveys several years ago the riders wanted a 50 and 100 mile NC awarded in divisions. I don't look at it as 10 AERC NC's. I look at it as the AERC NC in the 50 mile HW division, etc.

But given all the complaining about the - NC assuming it truly represents more than a vocal minority - maybe the AERC should not be in the NC business. The nice thing about a private ride like the ROC is well it is a private ride. If people don't like it they won't go. The AERC is not officially recognizing it as crowning their (and our) NC. If we don't like how it is done - well that's our personal problem not the AERC's collective problem.

Truman

RDCARRIE@xxxxxxx wrote:

A friend and I have talked a lot about this, and this is the format we'd actually like best. Not that either of us would ever be in the running for any sort of championship, but a format that rewards consistent strong performance over a ride season in terms of points would best determine a National Champion. Second choice would be something like the ROC, with ONE champion. Not even on the map is the current NC, with ten national "champions" that no one (except those ten and their families) can remember 3 days later.
Dawn in East Texas

--

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” Steven Weinberg – Nobel Laureate, Physics