[RC] weight matters . . . not? - Marlene Moss

Ok, here is my two cents.  I have been thinking about this for a couple years.  I’ve talked with several riders with a lot of miles – Joe Long, Crockett Dumas, Jeremy and Heather Reynolds and got varying opinions from them all.  I am generally of the opinion that weight shouldn’t be that big of a consideration.  I would consider that for the FEI type flat races that it would have a bigger impact than the typical endurance ride though, since I have no personal experience there.

First of all, the argument that we should take 2 cloned horses, train them identical and then have one competed with a significantly higher weight is silly.  That’s not the way it works!  The horses would be conditioned differently – one with the heavy rider all along.  That horse would build more/different musculature and be more capable of dealing with that weight.  I am quite confident of this because I’ve seen it happen.

My husband and I have several horses we could compete on and keep ending up switching things around.  We monitor heart rates a lot on conditioning rides, mostly just for fun, but partially to monitor the conditioning of a horse one of us just started compared to the other.  We’ve also done some conditioning rides where we’ve switched horses in the middle of the ride just to monitor heart rates due to the change in weight.  I weigh 145, he weighs 215.  We use the same saddle and mostly similar gear so we didn’t have to switch saddles.

Anyhow, prior to switching our two horses had roughly similar HR.  One might vary a bit going higher climbing, but came down a bit faster so they both plateaued or recovered at virtually the same time and to a similar rate.  When we switched, there was about a 20bpm difference at the high points, but they still recovered within 2-5 bpm of the same rate.

In one instance, my husband started riding a new horse that wasn’t conditioned at all.  Mine had been conditioned for 50’s for 5 months or so.  We started with a 30-50bpm difference on the highs.  Within 4-6 weeks the new horse had high rates very similar to my horse although she didn’t recover quite as fast – but then she didn’t recover any faster if I rode her.

So I will agree that weight has an impact, but like someone mentioned, I don’t think it’s that big a deal unless you have a heavyweight condition your horse and then compete lighter – and we could all do that if we wanted via weights or Kat’s camera equipment.  But actually, I don’t think that really makes sense, when my horse carried my husband’s weight, her HR went up, but his horse didn’t decrease by the same magnitude.

I would believe that the horse carrying the extra weight must expend more energy to do so (but it’s probably not a linear function) and that horse may eat more on the ride.  But that’s not unreasonable.  The 1000 pound horse has to consume more energy than the 800 pound horse anyhow.  But I’m hoping we’re not going to try to create classes based upon what horses ate more than others!

Regarding other riders.  Crockett Dumas is a heavyweight – and I don’t think many would claim that he looks “light” on a horse.  I think he was either 1st or within the top 5 each day at last years Grand Canyon ride.  He’s done some pretty serious miles at decent speeds.  I think he’ll tell you it’s the horse.

I’d love to hear the benefits Chris Knoch thinks his horse gets from him running along side for Tevis.  I’d bet that there is as much or maybe more advantage in saving the horse’s legs and feet from impact on downhill areas than worrying about energy expenditure from being ridden.  But that’s just a guess – I’m a downhill wimp.  I just got back from leading my horse down the rockiest trail I will ever do – made Outlaw Trail and Grand Canyon look like a walk on the beach!

So my theory is that yeah, an increase in weight has an impact  - and I do admit that I am not 100% confident in using the HR as the sole device to measure this – but that there are so many other factors that go into what a horse is capable of on a given day that I think if the horse is ridden by the rider that conditioned him, then the rider’s actual weight is in the noise.

Marlene

(And I apologize for the long post on a subject being beaten to death like all the other subjects, but I’ve been wanting to voice my opinion on this for a while to see if there was any evidence to the contrary – I do still have an open mind on the subject!  I started thinking about this thinking that as long as I conditioned and competed with my husband I had no chance of ever getting BC!)

Marlene Moss

Saddle Fitting - www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com

Boarding/Training - www.LosPinos-CO.com