Re: [RC] Mea Cupla, was: Weight Divisions - Joe Long

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 07:56:55 -0700 (PDT), Jody Rogers-Buttram
<dragnin100@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No Truman, you missed the point in this whole arguement.  It isn't about that
we want to deny any of the heavier division awards or recognition.  It is that
we don't have a memorable champion anymore, because it has been sliced and
diced into so many weight divisions to please everyone, and therefore,  NO
real champion.
 I would like to see the "great trailer race" come back.  I was there then,
and it was a race, but it does show a tough horse.  I would even take back
the "next" step of the championship rides that were one in each region.  And
I hated it when that happened.
 This sport has evolved into sissys. (and I know that I didn't spell that
right)  :))

 Jody

I was not only on the Board when we changed the AERC Championship from
a total-points-over-the-season formula to a series of rides formula, I
was on the committee that designed the new system.

I believed at the time that I was doing right.  I had competed very
successfully under the old system, Kahlil and I having been Reserve
National Champion three times in six years.  But I saw firsthand the
problems with it, too, and how although it allowed widespread
participation to everyone only those who could afford to travel a lot
and ride over 1,000 miles a year had any real shot at a Championship.

I believed that a series of designated Championship rides would allow
the very best horse/rider teams to become Champions without as much
expense and time away from home, and make a more meaningful Champion.

As each attempt at a National Championship system failed to gain
member support (with poorly-attended rides) we kept trying to
"fine-tune" it to make it work.  At this time we have the two NC
rides, a 50 and a 100, with meaningless qualifications and "five
separate rides" in each making a plethora of "Champions" that hardly
anyone cares about.

I'm finallly admitting to myself, and to the AERC membership, that I
made a mistake in my role in taking away the points Championship.  I
think it's time we recognized this and brought it back, and with it
the crowning of one Senior and one Junior AERC National Champion at
the Convention, complete with their speeches.
--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx