Re: [RC] [RC] GPS Advice - April

Hi, Teresa,

I use a Forerunner 305. It has a new, better GPS reception chip in it that works really well, even under tree cover. Worked very well in the Hoosier National Forest last month. It is a wrist unit so it's always available to give me real-time feedback during a ride. It's also a fitness unit, so includes workout features that help me in training, including the ability to always "race" myself on subsequent visits to a trail. The F305 also has a heart rate monitor component that I adapted for use on my horse using Roger Rittenhouse's conversion kit.

http://www.garmin.com/products/forerunner305
http://www.vmaxept.com/masterpage.htm

Here is the track for one of my loops at Hoosier Daddy. Very nice smooth track with no signal abnormalities.
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.mb?episodePk.pkValue=937174

I have to point out that there is no heart rate data for that loop/ride as I had not yet done the conversion kit for the F305 and was still using my old Forerunner 301 for HR data for my horse (also using one of Roger's conversion kits).

I also want to mention that I use the F305 for me, too. I do fitness training other than horseback riding and I use the F305 to keep track of my fitness. I simply have another heart rate strap that I didn't convert to horse use.

If you bike (which I do not), you can also buy a cadence add-on that works with the F305.

Whichever GPS unit you choose, check out http://www.motionbased.com and http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/ for options on keeping a logbook of your training using your GPS tracks and data.

Feel free to email me if you'd like more information or tips. And in the interest of full disclosure I do not work for Garmin, Roger Rittenhouse, MotionBased, or SportTracks. I just use and enjoy the products.

April
Nashville, TN
www.tracetribute.com