Re: [RC] Did I Understand You Correctly? - k s swigart

From: "indiancp" <indiancp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

ever seen a horse put into a trailer when he/she was
either terrified of it or just determined that h*ll
no, i won't go"?

Yep, and I have seen that horse get left behind.

Unless you knock the horse out and carry or winch it in, no horse goes
into a trailer until it chooses to go into the trailer.  People can do
some pretty unpleasant things trying to change the horse's mind, but
until the horse changes its mind and decides to walk into the trailer,
it ain't getting into the trailer.

some horses will do things they don't want to simply
because their rider wants them to

Nope, no horse does anything it doesn't want to.  The only way a rider
can change what a horse does is to change what the horse wants to do (or
knock it out and drag it around with a winch).

and those are good
horses

MY definition of a good horse is one that will NOT give in to that kind
of pressure.  The will and determination to persist in the face of
adversity (even if the source of adversity is its handler) is the stuff
of greatness in horses.  The last thing in the world I want in a horse
is one that will give in at the drop of a hat.  I want my horses to
think that they are gods and that there is nothing that they cannot do,
and then, after I have trained them to use all that power in the way
that _I_ choose, there is nothing I cannot do either.

Crazy dream I know, but worth pursuing.

kat
Orange County, Calif.