Re: [RC] choice and training horses - Vallonelee

In a message dated 7/28/2006 10:01:03 AM US Mountain Standard Time, jrlosey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Some will die to please their owner. They will do all we ask. Not forced,
they do it willingly. They are the best. But that's why we must be so
careful what we ask. This was said earlier this week. Maybe not said well be
the point was the horse didn't have a choice, not because it was forced,
because it was asked.
I have one of these.  It amazes me every time I look at him. I can turn him loose anywhere and he will stay with me. When I had pasture separated from my house (about .1 mile down the road), the neighbors would tell me how he would stand in the corner and whinny at the house - that's how they knew I was out and doing things.  He had five buddies but would leave them and go stand in the corner that faced my house and call for me until I came. He would gladly leave his buddies and follow without halter or rope, down to his small paddock at the house and happily follow me around doing chores.  I was there when he was born into my waiting arms.  I was his first smell in this world outside of his momma.

He is the only horse that I have owned that I feel has a good chance to complete Tevis - and he is the last horse I would ask to do it - because he would do anything I ask, and therefore it is my responsibility to ask carefully.

Lee