Fw: [RC] HOT shoes. - Dot Wiggins

I wonder about the mounted police units that work many hours, all summer, almost all on pavement, concrete, etc??
Any info on how their feet handle the hot footing for hours?  After effects following several years work?

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 5:17 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] HOT shoes.

Always interesting to hear how others live.  .

Again, it illustrates yet another reason for not having horses stand on blacktop.  Makes me wonder if you might want to look into some of those thin woven mats to put down where you tack up.  We used to use them at dog shows for something clean and cool for the dogs to lie on, and they roll up easily, don't take much space, and can be hosed clean.

Heidi

> The only problem is:  Who cares?  We normally do not do
> endurance rides on blacktop.

do care about how hot pavement affects my horses feet. Why?

Many of us ride out of parking lots - paved parking lots - and we often tie
our horses to trailers as we tack and untack horses. I also know several
rides  with vet checks in paved lots. If the heat is bothering the horses
feet, tying to trailers may not be a good idea.