Re: [RC] Truman, BH, colics - Diane Trefethen

Truman - your entire post that begins, "And that is perfectly within you right to do so and express that opinion" is a "straw man". In debating, a straw man argument, a type of "Red Herring", is a logical fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. One way to set up a straw man argument is to create a position that is easy to refute, ascribe that position to the opponent, refute it, and pretend that the opponent's actual position has been refuted. A straw man argument can be very persuasive because the straw man actually IS defeated. However, the opponent's true argument is never even addressed much less refuted. Attacking a straw man is a sign of weakness.

Specifically, your entire post addresses multiple issues, freedom to speak ones opinion, raising social consciousness to effect valuable changes, personal responsibility (particularly with respect to our "equine partners"), idiots callously endangering their horses over a case of beer, etc. What makes it all a "straw man" is that in my post I never disagreed with even one of these positions. My ONLY point was that your stating that the death of a horse is worse than the death of its rider, in this case a child, is obscene. THIS point you totally failed to address and instead cloaked yourself in self-righteousness, ie, "So you can pound on me all you want [here Ridecampers are supposed to weep at the unfairness of it all], call me whatever you want, accuse me of being 'over the top,' etc., for expressing my opinion [fade to applause for supporting the American Way]."

Bullshit.