Re: [RC] Truman, BH, colics - Truman Prevatt

Back when the AERC was discussing the necessity for the HWC a pretty detailed analysis was performed. This was the results of that analysis. The morality rates (given in mortality per 1000 per day) for horses in general came from the USDA sources (if I remember correctly). It was also compared to TB race horses which was given in mortalities per start.

The mortality rates for endurance horses were calculated based on ride day and up to two days after. The mortality rates for endurance horses were higher - significantly so but not alarming so.

Although the mortality rate for TB race horses was significantly higher that for horses at endurance rides ( one in 500), there were 990 starts in 100's that year and three dead horses, which is one in 330. That in and of itself should be a wakeup call.

This was published in the EN.

BTW the population of "horses" is very large to the population of horses that do an endurance ride therefore you would not expect to see a lot of them in clinics. What is important is the number normalized the the population not the raw number.

Truman

patty peck wrote:
--------------------------------
>There are horses that colic daily - a few die. From the >work Jim >Michell did and the mortality rates he had found >- there aren't many >compared to the horse population. The >mortality rate of endurance >horses (defined as death at a >ride or within a few days) is a little >higher than the >general population but not alarming so.

I don't know about this.
My roomate works at one of the largest equine hospitals
in the region and the largest population of colics is the back yard horse.They do several colic surgeries a week and have only had one endurance horse in four years.

The surgery barn is always full of hunter,jumpers,reiners,
breeders,pets and no endurance horses!!!!!(there are plenty around here). Is it because they don't make it to the OR I don't think so. I really think it is because the percentage of endurance horses
that
colic is lower than the general population. Due to the extreme care we do take of our horses and how alert we are
to EDPP. Just an observation. Patty

--

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” Steven Weinberg – Nobel Laureate, Physics