Re: [RC] re: BH 100 - Truman Prevatt

There are horses that colic daily - a few die. From the work Jim Michell did and the mortality rates he had found - there aren't many compared to the horse population. The mortality rate of endurance horses (defined as death at a ride or within a few days) is a little higher than the general population but not alarming so.

Over the past few years we have been running at about 6 fatalities a year out of approximately 15000 starts in an endurance ride (50 or 100 mile event). That comes down to 1 fatality to every 2500 starts in an endurance ride or two deaths every 5000 starts.

I went back an looked and scanned the records and it looks like the BH (50 and 100) averaged about 35 riders a year - sometimes more and sometimes a lot less. That is a total of 1225. Hence the BH has had 2 deaths in 1225 starts or one per every 612.5 starts. No matter how you cut it the BH fatality rate is over 4 times higher than the AERC fatality rate for endurance rides. Fatality rates for TB racing run at one equine fatality for every 500 starts. That puts the BH over it's 35 year history to the mortality rate for TB racing.

Could this be a random event - yes, however, it might also be an indicator that some issues that need to be addressed. At any rate the two deaths is a potential red flag and should be investigated. Before we write it off as a "cosmic event" I would expect the HWC will investigate it in and orderly and fair manner and give everyone their say. They might chose to make some recommendations to the BH ride management concerning some aspect of their ride as it concerns the risk our horses are being placed under at the BH. That is perfectly a reasonable thing for them to do.

I will withhold judgment until this issue is investigated and analyzed. I would hope that if there are any recommendations that the BH management would do everything in their power to insure those recommendations are implemented.

To paraphrase Lisa Salas, when the rider signs up to be John Rambo the horse does not volunteer for the same duty. No horse should have to suffer in an AERC sanctioned event from the ego of the rider who what's to play Rambo be it though speed, distance or "toughness."

I anxiously await the results of the HWC. I think how the BH will be judged in the long run is more based on how they respond to this tragedy and what comes out of the HWC report rather then emotional defenses and testimonials of how wonderful it really was.

I for one am awaiting the HWC's work when all the facts are considered.

Truman

Cindy Collins wrote:
During the 35 years of the Big Horn 100, there was NEVER a horse death
until this year. It is horrible that this happened. But a few
non-endurance riders out there with a little knowledge do not need to make
sweeping statements about a history of horse deaths in our "old fashioned
rides." With a few exceptions, the nastiest comments have come from
people who haven't even done an endurance ride, much less a 100 miler. I
try to consider that while I'm reading.

--

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” Steven Weinberg – Nobel Laureate, Physics