[RC] re: BH 100 - Cindy Collins

Obviously, there are so many things I'd like to say that luckily for all
of ridecamp, I have been shocked and frozen as I've read some of these
threads.  So, I'll keep my few comments, that I just can't swallow, brief
as possible:

During the 35 years of the Big Horn 100, there was NEVER a horse death
until this year.  It is horrible that this happened.  But a few
non-endurance riders out there with a little knowledge do not need to make
sweeping statements about a history of horse deaths in our "old fashioned
rides."  With a few exceptions, the nastiest comments have come from
people who haven't even done an endurance ride, much less a 100 miler.  I
try to consider that while I'm reading.

A beginning horse and a rider who had never completed a 100 miler finished
the ride easily.  Much like the Tevis, there have been many horses and
riders over the years who have successfully completed the 100 miler here
without ever having done a 100, or maybe even a 50!  Shocking to the newer
generation, I know.

I do believe that the new section made the trail VERY tough.  Combining
that with the heat and drying up of creeks...Imade this one of the hardest
BHs ever.  If someone can prove to me on a real topo map with facts, that
this ride is 14 miles long, I would really appreciate it.  Otherwise, I
feel it is inappropriate to discuss mileage through innuendo and guess
work.  I would give anything if the Adelaide trail through the wilderness
hadn't been lost.  As far as I can tell, ride management did the very best
they could to accurately lay out a new section (there aren't a lot of
choices here, folks) measuring it with both a four wheeler and a GPS.

There was NEVER a drag rider for the section of trail from Antelope Butte
(not alpine, Steph) to Jack Creek.  There was a drag rider on a 4 wheeler
set to go down from Jack Creek to the finish line.  That was all.  You
cannot drive a vehicle on Shag Nasty.  I, personally, don't believe there
is any thing sentimental about Shag Nasty.  I think Ride Management
believed they needed those miles for the ride to be 100 miles long.  I
believe they were right.  What they didn't know was how difficult this new
piece made the section.  Some of you recall the ROC where the mileage was
correct, but the trail was too difficult for most to complete.  I think
something similar, and totally unintentional, happened here.

Very few rides have drag riders...even Ft. Howe as an FEI ride did not
have drag riders.

Also, on a personal note, I have always tried to be very honest about the
difficulty of this trail and the need for independence and a pioneer
spirit.  I have always said that people should never come without a crew.
I have always said that if you were one of those people who likes loop
rides into camp and all the fancy amenities that newer style rides have,
you shouldn't be here.  I have always said there are problems with private
land owners, USFS, BLM, vandalism, elk/deer/cattle eating ribbons, lack of
volunteers, etc.  I have been honest with any one and readily shared my
feelings.  I have also begged people to come early and help mark
trail/pre-ride trail.  I have offered topo maps of the trail and detailed
directions for crews.  These are just my personal things that I'm willing
to share. I am not ride management.  I have always been honest about the
short comings of the ride.  However, I have always said I believe it is
one of the most beautiful trails in the world and that I love it.   So,
jump in Ridecamp and tell me what a dinosaur I am!  Cindy