Re: [RC] To Ramy Jisha and BG 100 - Barbara McCrary

Anytime we have had a spotter on the trail, riders will inevitably abandon their own responsibility for finding the trail and ask the spotter. One time I was sitting in my truck at a spot where I was monitoring speed of the riders. The property owner had required us to limit the riders to walking through a short area to eliminate the dust problem, so I was watching the responses to my sign that required walking. One person interpreted my sign to mean dismount and walk, which was OK, but an overkill. Then another rider came along and immediately asked me "which way is the trail?" I said follow the ribbons, whereupon he turned off the trail, which was really a dirt road at that point, and headed for a ribbon that was 1) on the wrong side of the rider (we specify our ribbons are hung to the rider's right) and 2) a different color than ours. There are often ribbons on our trails that are not ours....riders have to take responsibility for "reading" the markings correctly. I would share Glen's frustration.....

Barbara

----- Original Message ----- From: <rides2far@xxxxxxxx>
To: <lanconn@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 12:04 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] To Ramy Jisha and BG 100

Yep. I know it well! Here's a Tellico story for those who think drag
riders or spotters would be a plus for management. I had an old "cowboy
wannabe" who helped us out marking & clearing trail. Right at the top of
that *big* Mountain climb Jim's talking about we had a confusing
intersection. I marked it all to pieces, with flagging, arrows & signs
with X's, then asked Glen to ride up that morning and stay there.  I
heard from riders later that they came galloping up, said, "Which way?"
and he said, "Read the danged signs! We didn't make all these signs for
nothin'"!

Angie