Re: [RC] shoe-y - Barbara McCrary

Are you talking about hard-facing with borium?  It works to make shoe last longer, but it is very slippery on rock or asphalt.  Lud rode his horse Grey on Tevis one year with borium hard-facing on the shoes, and poor Grey kept slipping on the granite and falling.  In one photo, both Lud and Grey looked anxious, and Grey had trickles of blood on his front legs.  It didn't put him out of the race, but we didn't do THAT again.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] shoe-y

Not exactly welding caulk;  the hard surface steel is spread on to be smooth.  Our worries, in the beginning, were that the spots of steel would ACT like caulks, which is definitely a no-no, in our case. My farrier applies it in the nail grooves of the shoes, about even with the tops of the nail heads.  It is so much harder than the shoe, it gives us that extra couple of weeks we need.  And, my horse can still do a sliding stop, so they are not "grabby."

Incidentally, a while back there was a discussion about training in the heat.  Well, outside of hell, there are few places hotter than Redding, CA.  A few years ago we had the dubious distinction of being the hottest place on the planet one day, 117 degrees. We have been that already this year, today has cooled down to 108.  However, we still train;  we load up about 5:30 AM, drive the 40  min. to Whiskeytown, ride our 12 or 15 miles and are home before 10:30AM.  Gives me the rest of the day to clean house and sweat a lot.  renie