[RC] clarification - Ramy Jisha

Lauren, I will make my responses within yours:

Lauren
Double 8 Ranch
Cody, WY wrote:

"I take some real exception to this terminology. Your attempt to ignite this tragedy with this language is out of line. These wonderful horses were not "killed" and you should not implicate anyone for this tragedy."

They were euthanized, can you call that anything other than "killed"?  You don't seem to have read my post carefully.  I am a veterinarian.  I understand more than many, I am sure, what euthanasia is and how it happens.

  "Would you prefer to have these horses and their riders burned at the stake on ridecamp without us all knowing ALL the facts. It is awful but at this point what can anyone truly say? The Welfare of the Horse Committee will investigate and we will all read the facts. Not speculation. Not a shemozzle. (look it up)"

I was referring to that fact that is was merely mentioned as a sidenote, as if it really were not very important.  I do not want anyone burned at the stake.  I do feel that the fact that two horses died in the time immediately around their participation in this ride indicates that there should be some questions asked about the level of concern and caution on the part of RM and the vets.

"Furthermore, why didn't you drive on up to Lake Adelaide and look for your missing rider?"

We did.  Turns out they were just past where a truck could go.  When I asked about the 4-wheeler which was at Jack Creek, I was told it was not working very well and they didn't want anyone going out on the trail.  Remember, it was dark shortly after the very FIRST rider got to Jack Creek.

"How would drag riders have helped your rider and her horse? They would have no way of treating your horse."

They could have ridden back out and come to Jack Creek to notify us that there was a problem, let us know where the horse and rider were, and let us start the process of getting them out many hours sooner.

"Tom is an elderly gentleman and can sometimes uses levity in stressful situations. I suspect that that was what he was doing with you. After all, he needed to stay there for riders that might come in so he couldn't rightfully leave Jack Creek. There was one vet at Jack Creek, waiting for the riders. What a conundrum. It's not a hop, skip and a jump down the mountain to base camp but about a 90" drive out with no cell phone reception. Resources in this situation and on this ride are extremely limited."

There is cell phone reception at the top of the switchbacks that drop down to Jack Creek.  That is where the 4-wheeler rider was when I caught up to him.  (The camper they found at daylight.) He was on the phone with 911 asking them to send a horse trailer.   There were other members of RM there, and I didn't expect Tom to go down the trail looking.

"How could anyone think at the 50 mile point that it was only "7 or 14" miles (which was said to riders somewhere along the way) to the next vet check when they knew that it would be 22-23 miles from the last vet check to the finish line. Math is not my best subject but that just doesn't add up to anywhere near 100."

I didn't say 7 or 14 from Antelope Butte.  The point from which I was referring is at the bottom of the switchbacks that drop down near Jack Creek.  It was after they had done the at least 17 miles, mostly straight up, that replaced the Adelaide trail.  Paula was told on the road, by RM, that from that point to Jack Creek was 7 miles, which would have made the trip from Antelope Butte (the 50 mile point) to Jack Creek (supposedly the 76 mile point) approximately 25 miles.  The reported milages did not add up correctly.  The people who tracked it with GPS can say better than I, all I can do is report what I was told.  Everyone I talked to said the trail from Jack Creek to base camp, which was supposedly 25 miles according to the crew map handed out, was longer than the 17 miles RM was telling them they had left to go when they left Jack Creek.

"And, by golly, YES, folks should have a crew with them. Both for the 50 and especially for the 100 mile ride."
Does anyone question the need for a crew while doing any other single loop 100 mile ride??  It sounds like you want to make ride management responsible for everything that happened or didn't happen (no liability release)."

I never said RM should be responsible for everything or that anyone should do this ride without a crew.  I said a crew was very important.  I was also simply pointing out the lack of liability release because it struck me as odd.

"What are you trying to imply?"

I am not trying to imply anything.  I am trying to make sure people know what they could be getting into if they go to the Big Horn.  Before I went out there I read the stories and perused the website.  I thought it sounded great.  I still think it is a beautiful place and would love to ride out there.  I just feel the public face of the Big Horn 100 is not accurate and anyone who wants to do the ride should know the whole story.  I think the "suck it up" attitude is deplorable and some simple changes towards keeping people and horses safe would make a huge difference.  Everyone seems to think the Big Horn is a sacred cow and should not be criticized in any way.  I say baloney.

"Where does one take on some accountability and responsibility for their choices and decisions?"

From the get-go.  I just think it needs to be an informed get-go.

"BTW, I have ridden only the 50 miler competitively but have been over all of the original 100 mile trail. I can't imagine why your rider would leave the 50 mile point at 6:00pm (correct me if I'm wrong here) and hope to travel another 50 miles, a great deal of it in the dark, and realistically expect to finish."

You are wrong.  She left at 4pm with RM assuring her she could still complete.  It took ALL of the riders much longer to get to Jack Creek than RM expected and that mainly seems to have been due to the new trail and then being on Shag Nasty in the dark.

"As far as volunteers, accessibility, drag riders, safety issues, resources,  etc I offer this as a solution: perhaps we should just start doing some rides in Central Park."

Go right ahead if you want.  I feel some simple changes would make a world of difference and save a great ride.  The main problem I see is changing the cavalier attitude I saw.  It is not impossible to teach old dogs new tricks, but it can be very difficult.

I do not want to see this ride go away.  I do think anyone considering a trip to Wyoming for the Big Horn should know what they might be facing.  I have heard from people who wanted to go but changed their mind after talking to others who have been there and gotten a more complete accounting than is generally given in the public eye.

Regards
Ramy Jisha DVM

Do you Yahoo!?