RE: [RC] The Bare Facts - heidi

Bare facts are fine--but let's tell the WHOLE truth.

The more miles you ride a barefoot horse the more the hoof  growth is
stimulated.

Certainly.  But in our sport, despite excellent conditioning, wear in
many cases will still exceed growth.
Increased hoof mechanism = increased circulation = increased growth

The terrain a horse is conditioned on soon becomes tolerable to the bare
hoof

Only up to a point.  Some terrain exceeds the severity to which horses
can condition.

The bare hoof grips rock & pavement better than a shod hoof

No argument there--but it also pays a price for doing so.

Conditioned to rock & pavement damage does not occur

Simply not true.  Conditioning certainly helps to minimize the
damage--but does not eliminate it entirely.

Increased sole callous decreases or eliminates the chance of stone bruises

Decreases, certainly.  Eliminates, no.  And sole callus can (and does)
also increase in properly conditioned AND PROPERLY SHOD horses that
wear shoes.  We see huge changes in the amount of sole callus when
horses from wetter climates or that have been improperly shod come to
live here and live more naturally--and they are ridden with shoes.

Thrush & white line disease become less of an issue or non-issue

I can give a horse thrush or white line disease simply by confining it
in unsanitary conditions, bare or not.  And I can't remember the last
time I've seen a case of thrush in a SHOD horse out on natural ground,
either.  This "factoid" is a red herring--being barefoot or shod is not
the issue here.

This is the sort of oversimplification to which I was referring earlier.
(For those of you on Ridecamp, this was a topic on the PNER list which
Sue has carried over to ridecamp without asking permission of the
posters to whom she was replying--not a huge deal, Sue, but not good
netiquette.)  All too often, this is the sort of patter that I hear
from barefooters trying to convince others to try it--and "the rest of
the story" (as Paul Harvey would put it) is not told.

Heidi