[RC] Big Horn - oddfarm

Joyce, there is a reason why we do rides a little different now. The health and well-being of the horse is paramount. Just because we USE do things that way, doesn't mean we did it the right way.

I agree, we should have rides that are challenging. I, too hate repeat trails. I just recently did my first night ride and I gotta say, LOVE those glowsticks because I hate being lost, more.

A tough trail doesn't have to be unsafe. RM should make sure it is well marked, has areas that are accessible for emergency situations and have personal available to look for lost riders. Especially in areas like the Big Horn Mountains. That is the minimum.

When a rider prepares for such a ride, (if that is even possible) extra long loops, getting lost and not having someone come to look for you is dangerous for the rider AND the horse.

I would rather have a challenge on the trail, as long as it was safe. If that means no dinners, truly primitive camping and cheap awards so the RM can spend money and time for the trail then hey, I am all for that.

The trail can be tough and safe at the same time. It just takes a little extra work. Yes, RM and personnel are volunteers, but nobody BEGS them to take it on. They VOLUNTEER. There is still an obligation to the health and well-being of the horse.

And Barbara is right, RM does know the trail better than anyone else. But they aren't riding it. So they should make sure it is safe for ALL.

Truman, don't count on the BOD to "determine in an orderly manner what happened" because they can't even seem to figure out who is responsible for the horse's well-being to begin with. Re: the protest in the July EN. They can't even seem to keep their own protests in any kind of "order" letting some riders voluntarily pay a penitence of their choice and other not having that option. Heck, it is even "honorable" now to claim ignorance when it comes to caring for your horse, or who's ever it is.

THAT should make Frank sad.

Stirring slowly.

Lisa Salas, The Odd Farm