Re: [RC] 2006 Big Horn 100 - Don Huston

Hello Ramy,
Can you tell us more about the 3 dead horses? As a drag rider at the Turkey Trot ride last year I helped a fella find his horse that had run off into the hills after dumping him while jumping a horse gate. I found the mare 6-7 hours after she ran off about 1 hour before dark, head down, spraddle legged, breathing very strange with all the tack tangled around her body, the saddle sideways held there by the breastcollar so tight that it was strangling the horse. I tried to shove the saddle back upright but the horse was quivering, barely able to stand and almost tipped right over. I tried every buckle and could not undo a single one, that tack was squeezing the horse like a vise. I always carry a razor sharp Buck knife so I cut the rigging, left everything there, walked the horse out and found the owner who had been looking elsewhere. I have never seen a happier fella. The horse was fine except for some swelling on the chest. I have no doubt that the horse would have gone down and died if left out all night tangled up like that. Every ride that I have attended has always had drag riders or something to provide assistance to riders or horses in need. Would drag riders have helped out at Big Horn?
Don Huston