[RC] Big Horn - joyce anderson

Re Ramey's comments - She admits she has never ridden this trail.  Does ANYONE
 remember the days when endurance started - way before glow sticks??  I do & I have
successfully ridden the Big Horn 100 mile trail without a single glowstick to guide me
and my horse.  People have become so dependent on glow stick trails that they may
no longer be prepared to ride night trail in the mountains on their own.  When I rode
the ROC in Teasdale in 1996 many of the glow sticks were mere shadows by the time
I reached them.  If you come to do a MOUNTAIN 100 (not a road ride of multiple
loops back thru camp) come prepared to ride the trail - on your own - in the dark.  ~~
Both of the horses that died were the result of twisted guts and not a result of over
riding, poor vetting, or ride management.  I know that the vets, riders, and ride
management care deeply about the safety of each horse on that trail, but this trail -
one of only a handful of single track 100 miles trail left, is run by a very small group of
people who take the time to mark 100 miles of original trail - they don't have loops that
repeat, reverse, or otherwise make it easier on management & (in my opinion) harder
on the horses.  If people want to ride a glow stick highway ride over vehicle roads,
there are literally hundreds to choose from.  Leave the mountain tracks to those of us
who value them to the bottom of our soul and will fight like crazy to promote and
protect them.  If you want the Big Horn to have more perks - get involved - volunteer
your time and your efforts and HELP! - It is also, and always has been, ultimately the
riders responsibility to make the right decision regarding their horses ability given the
trail, weather, challenges, etc on the day.  I think completing the Big Horn 100 six
times gives me a few rights to address the DO-Ability of this trail.  I'll be back next
year & will continue to contribute my entry dollars to rides that offer me the challenge
of a true track and not endless loops back thru camp.  I may be in the minority but it
is a well know fact that 100 mile entries have fallen in recent years - and I think the
boredom of loop tracks is one of the reasons.  So - for good or ill I again express my
thanks to the Big Horn folks who offer the opportunity to once each year ride this
amazing trail & hope the supporters will speak up & not let the few (non riding)
naysayers muck up one of the last Great rides. ~~ respectfully, Joyce Anderson

Do you Yahoo!?