[RC] Calcium Carbonate - Bruce Weary

I'm not sure that dosing your mare with calcium will be the total answer for your tie-up problems. I have ridden several mares and never had one tie up on me, but I think (and can't prove this) that tying up is a multifaceted metabolic problem that is influenced by one or more of the following contributing factors: fitness level, hormonal cycles, diet, temperature, emotion, feed sensitivities, electrolyte depletion, lack of proper warm-up, exertion/fatigue, and the list goes on. I'm guessing (and Susan G or Heidi can chime in here) our vets have seen tie-ups for any or all of these reasons or a combination. For one thing, there is far more calcium in the horse's gut than you could practically give in a single dose. It would be absorbed in the small intestine and the excess then discarded. I'm not saying it wouldn't be helpful, but, IMO, it would be simplistic at best to hope that it would effectively get to the core of your tie-up problems. But, I have been wrong before. Maybe our vets can offer some more comprehensive solutions for you to consider....? Incidentally, in humans, Barbara is right, calcium citrate is very absorbable. Calcium hydroxyapatite has been shown to contribute to better bone density, for some reason. Calcium carbonate is the most common form for both horses and people. It is the same substance as the chalk you write with on blackboards. And, every box of chalk I ever bought was defective. It never had the correct answers to my math problems in it. Coincidentally, my golf clubs are defective as well. Every damn one of them. Dr Q