Re: [RC] Underweight horse - Kathleen

Title: Re: Underweight horse

I agree the horse is not getting enough calories for her-it doesn't matter if it is enough for other horses.  Can you bring her into a private paddock at night and give her free choice hay?  I mean all she will eat; there should be hay left in the morning.  You could also give her the Ultium in a beet pulp mash and add some flax and/or Cool Calories for fat and the probiotics.  She could have all night to nibble away at her mush and hay which she will never have in a group setting.  I have one hard keeper and one easy keeper.  They go out in the morning to the pasture and share scattered flakes of hay and can graze.  At night they come in and the easy keeper gets 1 flake of grass hay and a few bites of beet pulp with vitamins and carrots.  The hard keeper literally gets a 120 gallon water trough filled with a third of a bale of alfalfa grass and a 3 gallon bucket of beet pulp, ground flax, Cool Calories and vitamins and probiotics.  If the hard keeper happens to clean up all her hay the next night we give her more. I want some hay left over everyday so I know she had all she could eat.  They are both in ideal fitness and health.  It is really no different than people.  I get "grass hay" and my best friend gets "alfalfa and mush" and I am "more rounded" than she is . even though she out eats me by 50 to 100% of our calories every day.

Kathleen- the easy keeper