Re: [RC] Easyboot Epics/Bares - Dream Weaver

Hi Barbara -- it all depends on the horse. Anything a horse can slip on can be dangerous, and I think that often regardless of what type of shoes a horse has, it has to learn how to handle itself in different types of terrain. My own experience has shown me that if my horses have easyboots on and slip, then the horses with metal shoes are slipping just as bad or worse. You can't put the boots on and expect your horse to immediately be an expert mover in them in all types of footing -- but you also can't expect that if they are shod, or barefoot either. I have never used the studs, because I figure if I actually need them it really isn't safe to ride, I don't like riding over ice. I'll go out in snow though, as long as there is enough snow as a top layer then they can get traction without slipping. There are some types of mud that are slicker than snot, and horses might slip in that no matter what especially if it's on the side of a hill or slope. I haven't used pads inside the boots either, the boots seem to offer plenty of protection on their own but if you have an already footsore horse then it might be worth trying. I saw an article Pete Ramey has up on his website about the pads: http://www.hoofrehab.com/bootarticle.htm Also, some might find this useful, it's a chart to document your horses hoof measurements: http://thehorseshoof.com/hoofmeasure.pdf There is enough room in the spaces to write in angles too. I usually check my horses toe lengths and angles every couple of weeks, as long as they stay within 1/4" inch of their average 3 1/4" toe length and 1 or 2 degrees on their angles (varies by horse) then we don't do anything.

I did enough rides in many types of serious mud last season with the epics on to know that they do stay on, I never had a single one come off of Chief ever, for any reason -- he can't keep regular easyboots on, but with the gaiters they definitely stay put.

Karen