Re: [RC] finding time to train for a 50? - Laney Humphrey

I know your anxiety because I've been there! It is hard, but it can be done. You are right that your horse is probably fit enough right now and it's you that needs the saddle time. A friend and I did several years of 50s while only doing training rides on the weekends. We finished every ride but no where near the top tenners (which wasn't our goal anyway). I would suggest finding every way you can to get yourself in shape - Curves, treadmill, jogging, just walking or whatever you can fit into your schedule. And I would suggest riding both days of a weekend as often as you can so your body gets used to working when it's a little sore and stiff. I'd also suggest riding lessons to make sure you're a balanced and efficient rider. And, finally, make sure your saddle is helping you be balanced and efficient. Ok, one more word of advice: you will find that somewhere in your first 50, you will learn to relax and then everything will be easy!
Go for it!!!
Laney

tracey smith wrote:
HELP! I see all this discussion about encouraging more hundreds and I am stressing out over how to find time to train to do a 50! I have been doing LD's and also CTR and set my goal for 2006 to move up and try a 50.
But...am having trouble finding time to ride enough when I work full time, have small kids and a husband that is now travelling for work! My horse is in great shape and probably does not need much more conditioning to be ready...but it is me that needs more hours in the saddle and it is just so hard when weekends are the only time I can ride...and then not every weekend lately.
I'd originally hoped to try a 50 by Frigid Digit in February, but that is just not gonna be able to happen so I went ahead and entered the LD. I know 2006 is young so I technically still have 10 months after FD to do my 50 I am just trying to figure out how to fit it all in. I am hoping to do my 50 NO LATER than the Moving On Up ride in September...but sure would be nice to try it earlier.
So, how do those of you who work and have kids find time to do it? Suggestions, comments??
Tracey