[RC] Making 100's Easier - Bruce Weary DC

It seems to me that we can work on making 100 mile rides easier either from the outside or the inside. From the outside, there have been strategies suggested to encourage riders to attend by easing the requirements of completion or offering options of elevation or de-elevation. While I have my opinions about these options, I don't presume to know how they would work until they are actually tried and possibly perfected. I think that the way in which many riders may feel overwhelmed by a 100 mile ride is how they perceive it in their head when they vividly imagine trying one. We probably don't presume that there is a mountain or valley or stretch of trail that our horse simply can't cover. Most horses have already been on many trails no less difficult than those included in any given 100 miler. (Except perhaps for the Tevis canyons.) But all of us have been tired, hot, cold,chafed, muscle sore, sleep deprived, nauseated, confused in the dark, and felt what it means to endure. I'm guessing that some of us draw on those experiences and construct an image in our minds of going through much of that on a 100 miler, only it will be longer, and more painful/miserable. So we recoil, stand in awe of those who are out on the trail at 2:00 am, and doubt whether we could ever succeed at such a thing.
Maybe we can start a thread of people's suggestions for making the 100 mile ride seem easier "on the inside." I'll start. I have learned the importance of eating and drinking even when I am not hungry or thirsty yet. I break the ride down into sections in my mind. I can't conceive of 100 consecutive miles of riding. But I can ride 20 miles five times in a row with breaks along the way for me and my horse. I know I can always make it to the next vet check. A little Ibubrofen takes my mind off the aches and pains. Serious conditioning at home helps me have more confidence in my physical ability and that of my horse so I'm not worrisome or doubtful on the trail about our capability of finishing. Worry and doubt will empty my bucket faster than any difficult stretch of trail. Riding with a partner helps me and my horse, as long as the horses' rate of travel and recoveries are well matched. Pocket hand warmers can help me protect my body core heat at night. If I lose that, I'm useless. When I remember and use these streategies, the ride seems much less daunting "on the inside," and I'm happier going down the trail.
In short, I think the difficulty of a 100 miler is as much in our heads as it is out on the trail. Anybody out there have more suggestions for how they make their day on the endurance trail easier and thus more "doable?" Bruce Weary