[RC] mentors for the Big Horn 100, plus letters - Cindy Collins

1.  If I'm riding the 100 miler at the BH this year, I would love to have
mentees (Is that a word!?)  I probably know the trail as well as anyone
alive since I mark quite a lot of it each year.  I LOVED having junior
riders, so I figure this is similar.

2.  I am in a discussion with the BLM about the BH 100 being allowed to
permanently mark the sections of trail governed by the BLM (for those of
you not out West, this is the Bureau of Land Management).  They have been,
overall, a much easier agency to work with than the USFS.  Our idea is to
get the BLM to let us permanently mark, then be able to show the USFS how
well it all worked.  As many of you know, there is a very small and aging
group of folks who run the BH and only a handful of us that know the
entire trail well enough to mark it.  We're looking at carsonite posts
with reflective stickers that say BH 100 and a horse symbol.  What I need
is letters or emails to the BLM supporting this concept.  In particular,
those of you who have ever ridden the BH, or the ROC on the BH trail, need
to write about your positive experiences and what this trail means to our
sport.  Talk about the problems with having such a small group running the
event, about the vandalism of the trail markings, and how permanent
marking would guarantee the continuation of the event for future
generations.  Keep it positive.  Emails or letters should be sent to
Stephanie Valentine <stephanie_valentine@xxxxxxx>.  Her mailing address
is:  Stephanie Valentine, Cody BLM Field Office, 1002 Blackburn Ave.,
Cody, WY 82414.  Thanks so much for your assistance.  BTW, this would
cover about 30 miles of the trail.  This is a particularly tough section
to mark due to the heat (last year this desert section was 104 degrees
while we were marking) and it has the most vandalism since it is easily
accessed by the public.

Cindy