[RC] US WEC Team Selection Question - Tom Sites

Congratulations are in order to those selected for the US WEC Team and i notice an oddity.  There are, for the first time more Gentlemen than Ladies.  Maybe thats what we need, more men in the Battle.

My Question is one i've asked before and thats the 6th horse,  The Replacement Horse, Cheyenne XII ridden by Jennifer Niehaus and owned by Ruth Walthenspiel.  Does this mean that if one of the 5's horse comes up lame or has a problem they get to ride Cheyenne XII?  My follow-up question would be what Jennifer of Ruth think of this arrangement? and why, if one of the others has a problem why isn't it Jennifer who rides the horse?  This whole FEI thing has gone further than i am capable or much interested of comphrehending.  Here's another question???Who thought this, what seems silly to me, up in the first place  and WHY?

I would really like to hear a rational answer.  ts