Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 3:12 PM
Subject: [RC] Horse Management in Excessive Heat

Like much of the other parts of the U.S., northeast Texas is in the grip of a major heatwave.  Consecutive days above 100 degrees.  Today it was 96 by 10 am; it's now just 2 pm and already 104.  Night temperatures aren't going much below the low-mid 80s so the horses aren't getting a "cooling break" even during the night.

Am interested in some discussion about horse management during heat waves (beyond the obvious--access to cool fresh water, free choice salt, shade).  Change in feed protocol?  Mandatory e-lyte supplementation to make up loss during excessive sweating?  Change in amount of forage, which produces heat?

Thanks!
Beth
Denton, TX