Re: [RC] California Agricultural product restrictions - Barbara McCrary

French Broom is one of them around here, also Eucalyptus, Pampas Grass, etc. etc. Not sure how Wild Hemlock got here, but it's disaster. It killed a number of our heifers one year when it was the only green thing around. Actually, I believe that one was Water Hemlock, but anyway it killed about 6 heifers in the same pasture. Wild Hemlock made several horses sick last year on our ride. Cape or German Ivy is taking over the stream courses around here...don't know how IT got here, but you can't get ride of it, because you can't spray for it or the herbicide kills the fish in the creeks. Many well-meaning folks gathered to pull it up and that just encourages more growth because it runs underground. I could go on and on.......

Barbara

----- Original Message ----- From: "Truman Prevatt" <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Sisu West Ranch" <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx>; "Betty Edgar" <betndez@xxxxxxxxxx>; <AppaLucie@xxxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] California Agricultural product restrictions

Lest we not forget the "landscaping" industry. In the SE one of the biggest infusion of non-native is "Boopsie wants that pretty plant she saw on vacation in Brazil in her front yard." So she gets one. Of course it doesn't stay in her yard and soon the seeds are spread far and near by birds.

The Everglads are being overtaken by Brazilian Pepper trees and Melaleuca trees. The Melaleuca is a native of Australia. Both were introduced as landscape trees. The state of FL is working like the dickens to get ride of these pest. Many of our "invasive" plants got started in someones lawn and got away.

Truman