Re: [RC] California Agricultural product restrictions - Barbara McCrary

Interesting about the "weed-free" certification program attempt.  There was a grower in the Santa Clara Valley who went through all the hoops to grow weed-free hay, and no one from the state came to inspect it or certify it, so he just dropped the whole idea.  It seems the state of CA has done so, too. I surely haven't heard anything from that quarter in several years.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 7:54 AM
Subject: [RC] California Agricultural product restrictions

 Hi Lucie,

The inspection seems to be random but much less stringent than a few years ago before the money crunch hit California.  I live in So. Oregon and am concerned with the I-5 station which is presently closed to all but commercial trucks, and the Hwy 199 station which is open sometimes and closed other times.  Recently when driving over to the coast in my car I asked the inspector at the Hwy 199 station about bringing in hay with my horses.  His response was that he would look at the hay and if he didn't see any weeds I could take it in. . . no weed free certification required now.

Betty
what ag inspectors...they havent manned the stations for 2 years...bring it all...Cora