Re: [RC] California Agricultural product restrictions - Karen Sullivan

Preaching to choir here, Truman....in my neck of Northern Calif Scotch
Broom,
Pampas Grass, Tamarisk, are huge problems.  You are right, but  "Boopsie' is
not the real problem, it IS the landscaping industry. ...people will buy
what the garden centers have...the  problem is Calif Association of
Nurseymen...who lobbied AGAINST a bill to ban sale of invasive exotic
landscape plants in Calif some years ago, and the huge wholesale growers who
will sell whatever they can propagate fast.....

As far as the folks who can blatently disregard this problem by thinking,
"well, we all come from
somewhere", the problem with some of these exotics is they just don't go
wild here and there...they totally replace entire habitats and functioning
ecosystems,and in the case of Scotch Broom, are very flammable!!!

To make this trail and endurance related...my idea of a great ride is not
riding through an endless thicket of scotch broom....but going places where
I can enjoy the native plants and animals.

I piss a lot of friends off each year when I stop on the trail at Pt Reyes
and yank out foxglove...yes, it is pretty (more pretty to me in someones
planter box on their deck)....but is is a runaway at Pt.Reyes and volunteer
trail crews go through the park each years trying to head off exotic plant
runaways....

Also don't forget, in Calif, some of the exotic plant runaways were
deliberately planted by Caltrans!

Karen (former native plant nursey owner)