From: <rides2far@xxxxxxxx>
To: <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <thetripler@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] TB Racing, Soundness, Speed, Hooves

One interesting study would be to look at the breakdown rate
increases of turf horses vs. dirt horses.

The NPR story pointed out that all 17 breakdowns at Arlington were on
the dirt. Zero on turf.Also, seems like they said the breakdowns were
occurring on the turns.  I was looking at the Keeneland site last
night to see when their fall meet is and noticed they're announcing
they've installed a new surface called "Polytrack".

http://www.keeneland.com/news/mediakits/trackrenov/

Here's what they say:

Overview of Keeneland's Track Renovation
This track renovation is the largest capital project in Keeneland's
history.
With this renovation, Keeneland hopes to have the safest, most modern
racetrack in the world.
The renovation currently is underway and will be completed by the end
of August or early September.
The renovation plans are highlighted by the installation of a
Polytrack surface and its signature vertical drainage system.

A rendering of Keeneland's new track layout includes wider, safer
turns and a longer stretch.

Keeneland is using the Polytrack installation as an opportunity to
reconfigure the track's turns to make them wider and more
symmetrical, therefore making them safer. It also will lengthen the
stretch.
Keeneland has planned a number of renovations that will create an
even more pleasant experience for the facility's patrons.
More patrons will be able to get a trackside experience with the
additional space created by the renovation. More than 13,000 square
feet will be added to the trackside apron in the grandstand, enough
to accommodate approximately 2,660 additional spectators.
Additionally, 4,300 square feet will be added to the clubhouse lawn,
which should accommodate approximately 860 more fans.
Keeneland's existing infield tote board will be replaced by one of
the most technology-advanced in the country. The new tote-video board
is comprised of five separate sections that have more than 1,500
digital LED tiles that provide crisp, clear color video, photos and
mutuel graphics. The entire tote board is mobile and each section can
be disassembled and reassembled as needed and is available for rental
to other sporting venues. More than 15 miles of conduit will be
installed underground, allowing Keeneland to take advantage of new
high-definition technologies and radio frequency technologies.