Re: [RC] California Agricultural product restrictions - Barbara McCrary

Agreed about cars, trucks, etc.  We have French Broom here in CA that makes its way into forests (state parks and private timberland) via trucks and/or bulldozers.  It's very invasive, but it can be hand pulled (in the parks) or sprayed with herbicide (private land), thus controlling its spread.  The seeds last a long time in the soil, so there is re-sprout each year, but less and less as it is sprayed annually.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:47 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] California Agricultural product restrictions

"...Interesting about the "weed-free" certification program attempt. ...."

It is alive and well here in MT.  I just had my field certified and got the hay in the barn last night.  A really good program, but not for the reasons normally given.  Most seeds do not make it through the horse, but they do fall out of the bale, the manger, the hay net etc and are a source of weeds in the forest.

Now if we could just get the Forest Service, and forest users to decontaminate their cars, trucks, and ATV's...

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875