Re: [RC] Horse size? - Laney Humphrey

I'm taller than you but I definitely prefer smaller horses to larger!  My horse is 14'2" - perfect although even an inch shorter wouldn't be bad.  It is a matter of personal choice but I personally can see no fun in having to duck under branches that I can just ride under.  Also as a matter of personal choice, I do not like the big, swingy, suspended trot that Arabians are reknowned for because, for me, it takes more work to stay in sync with it.  I like a nice, flat, unsuspended and shorter-strided trot.  There is no "correct" relationship between rider and horse size; it is a matter of preference.  However, also think about the shape of your horse's barrel.  A very round horse is harder to get short legs around.  How I feel on a horse matters a lot to me.  I don't like the feeling of being perched on top of a barrel.  I'd rather feel like my legs go down and around.  So, if I had to choose between a tall but thin horses and a short, round one, I might well choose the taller horse, all other things being equal.
Laney
From: Kathleen
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 8:40 AM
Subject: [RC] Horse size?

Hello-

I was just wondering what everyone thought about this subject.  I'm under 5' tall, and about 100#.  Would an endurance horse that is about 14.3 be too big?  I guess what I'm asking is if there is a 'point of diminishing return' on horse size lol.  I hope this makes sense because I'm not sure how else to put it.

Thanks,
Kathleen