Re: [RC] Tevis question - crossing river?/ California Loop this Weekend? Anyone? - Laney Humphrey

I just got back from pre-riding the trail with the Eatons.  We rode from the fairgrounds to the river crossing with no problems.  We went out into the river, but it is definitely to high to cross!  We also rode the California loop from Forest Hill to Franciscos, also with no problems.  We had left our trailer at the Drivers Flat pull out area so we didn't ride from Franciscos to the river.  Don't know if the tree is still there or not.  As we admired the river we did try to imagine ways to get Tevis riders across: ferry boat, high line with a pully, water wings, floats all came to mind.  The river is definitely still high!
Laney
----- Original Message -----
From: sherman
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 3:14 PM
Subject: FW: [RC] Tevis question - crossing river?/ California Loop this Weekend? Anyone?

Crysta,

See my note below to the Eatons. If the trail isn?t cleared of the tree you won?t be able to get to Poverty Bar. I don?t know how far down the trail it is from Francisco?s.

Kathy

I'm headed to the Auburn-area this Saturday (7/15) to pre-ride some of the CA loop.  I'd like to ride from Foresthill to the river crossing and then back up to Driver's Flat or White Oak Flat (suggestions welcome).  I do have someone to move my rig and could meet one person at the "end" and trailer them and their horse up to Foresthill so they can ride point-to-point without having to worry about having someone to move their trailer.  I'm thinking about meeting in Foresthill around 10 or so.

Send me an email if you are interested.  I've ridden this loop once before but coming down from Reno, I'd sure love to go with someone else that knows the trails really well!

~ Crysta

Subject: [RC] Tevis question - crossing river?

Did you get your answer yet? I?d like to know also.

A friend of mine was supposed to find out today if even the trail from Francisco?s to Poverty Bar is open. There was a large tree laying across the trail making it impassable, Last week, the river was not crossable from the Auburn side due to the high waters & strong current.

If I find out, I?ll let you know, if you find out, please let me know?

I?ll be riding from Driver?s Flat towards Foresthill tomorrow.

Kathy

Does anyone know if the river is cross-able at Tevis right now?  We  are

headed up tomorrow and are curious if we can get across it.

Bob and Peggy Eaton

Carmel Valley, CA