RE: [RC] Beet pulp - Jim Holland

The one I have I bought some years ago came from Sportack and is called a “Wad‘r Buc-it”.  Look here….last item at the bottom of the page. http://www.sportack.com/cms/index.cfm/path/94789/96339/96341/  A gallon bag half full of mix will roll up in it easily. When I’m done, I put the bucket in the bag to avoid getting it all over my cantle bag.

It’s interesting to watch the expressions on the faces of riders who haven’t ridden with me before.  We stop for lunch, they tie their horse and eat.  I drop my hack and my horse and I have lunch together, then usually share an apple.  Next time, they usually bring lunch for THEIR horse. <grin>

 I have another similar one just a hair larger with a strap.  It needs to be stiff enough for your horse to eat/drink out of it.  I also use it to water my horse from a source where I can’t take him to the water…that’s the only advantage of having a strap….but rein snaps fit the grommets in the Wad’r Buc-it perfectly…AND give you a longer strap. Multi-use and compact is important to me.

Here in Georgia it’s pretty hot in the summer….90+ with high humidity.  That time of year, I soak my beet pulp, squeeze some of the water out, mix it and put it in the refrigerator overnight.  If it’s REALLY hot, I’ll throw in half a dozen ice cubes before I leave…most of the melted water is soaked up by the beet pulp, the rest is contained by the plastic bag, anyway. If I am trailering somewhere, I put the bags in my drink cooler until I’m ready to ride, adding the ice just before I leave.  Wrapping it in the bucket provides some insulation.  It should easily keep 4 hours, even in the desert….two packages is enough for a 6 hour ride feeding every two hours.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Richard T. "Jim" Holland

Three Creeks Farm

175 Hells Hollow Drive