Re: [RC] [RC] Glycemic index of horse grains - Truman Prevatt

Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M. wrote:

Pretty much. The energy provided by hay (or beet pulp) actually during a ride is moderate at best, depending on its composition, because the fermentation pathway is slow. The hay eaten during the actual ride on Saturday benefits primarily hydration and gut motility, and to a lesser extent, energy. If you’re feeding a source of non-structural carbohydrates, those will benefit energy, but does very little for hydration or gut motility. It’s a balancing act to get it all right, but the primary bone of contention between TI and I over the years was that I felt hydration and motility needed first priority, and Tom thought sufficient energy would cover all three bases. We disagreed, but it sure was fun.

And the debate started when your name was Evans ;-) - which is long before more than a handfull of people ever heard of ridecamp. I remember doing a synopsis of the debate for Steph to post on Endurance.Net back so many years ago.

The real problem is now as then - we don't really know? Most of everything was an educated conjecture. What it takes to know is well planned and controlled experiments with sufficient money to perform them which we don't have. However, while we don't know I suspect the UAE endurance program does as maybe the French. To get that many horses home within 8 hours on a 100 takes some knowledge.

Truman

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics