Fwd: [RC] Race versus Ride - STELLERIDE

--- Begin Message ---
There are many different reasons we ride our horses in endurance; to companion with our horse, to be with our friends, to enjoy the scenery, to condition, etc.however our sport is a race but most riders don't treat it as such.  Competitive Trail is a ride.  In 1989 in the Endurance News there was the debate whether our sport was a ride or a race.  The final conclusion is that our sport is a race.  Further, how can selection committees determine who is going to represent the US in International competition if a certain percentage of riders do not race.  How can one be in the AHA National Championships or the AERC Championships if they didn't at least try to top ten in order to try to qualify.  AHA points and AERC points are given to the the horses and riders that place the highest and get the most BC points.  Of course the most important thing to remember is to not over-stress the horse in trying for these accomplishments.  Progressively condition.  Know your horse intimately.  Bob Steller

--- End Message ---