[RC] Race versus Ride - Angie Fura

I'm curious.  I remember that, many years ago, using the word "race" to describe an endurance event was frowned upon.  The thought being it cast a negative light on the sport.   It seemed like everyone made a conscious effort to refer to  them as endurance "rides."  Nowadays, I'm noticing the term "race" used more often in conversations, magazine articles, and even here on RC.

Is it just my perception or has the term "race" become more acceptable?

Angie Fura
Co-Manager of the Trace Tribute
www.tracetribute.com