[RC] Small Acreage - Gretchen

Subject: Small Acreage

I have 5 acres and 4 horses in TX.  OK well not sure if it really counts as 4 horses as 2 are arabs and 2 are minis – so maybe more like 2.5 horses?

Anyway I have about 2.5 acres in pasture.  I have my pasture area sectioned off into 4 smaller areas.  The one area is all dirt – this is where the horses spend most of their time.  I call it the hay area because this is where I feed them hay.  This area opens into all of the other grassy areas and is always kept open so the horses have access to hay at all times.  I have a larger grassy area, and two smaller grassy areas as well.  I rotate them in and out of these grassy areas.   Each area is about one day’s worth of grazing each week.  I also have another grassy area around my barn that has temporary fence on one side (made of hay strings) that I allow the big horses to graze one day a week.  (One has figured out how to roll under the hay string fence and got banned a couple of weeks ago – strangely enough he didn’t break the fence at all.)

My pastures are not irrigated unless I drag out the lawn sprinkler which is a pain in the - you know what.

Someday my dream is to have most of the 5 acres in pasture, but alas, I have a non-horsie husband who is too lazy to help me remove all of these darn east Texas trees.  My setup is not ideal, but I’ve made it work.

Coffee News ~ where your ad is read 3 meals a day 7 days a week!

Thanks,

Gretchen Bass

Conroe Coffee News

www.ConroeCoffeeNews.com