[RC] sheldon roundup - Erick Larson

Greetings:

About 5 months ago I adopted a Sheldon Mustang.  My neighbor wanted a Mustang and he didn’t have a trailer, so I volunteered to take him to Crossplains, TN where there was about 40 horses left from the ’05 roundup.  He picked out several foals and was ready to leave in short order.  I had been watching a bedraggled group of mares.  I just felt so sorry for this one mare that was so pregnant she looked like she could give birth at any moment.  She was standing in 6 inch deep mud and eating moldy hay I wouldn’t give to cows.  I took her home out of pity.

Imagine my wife’s surprise when I showed up with another horse to add to the herd.  And it was a pregnant one at that!

To make a long story short:  Mustang Sally and her now 3 month old filly Ariel are doing well.  Next month Sally and I will go to Sam Powell for training and little Ariel will get to run around in a 2 acre pasture.

I don’t know if either Mustang will ever be an endurance prospect.  I don’t really care.  They are now a part of our ever growing herd.

After viewing those shocking and depressing pictures, I just wanted to share a small success story about one Sheldon horse.

-Erick-