Re: [RC] [RC] Run-in Sheds - Truman Prevatt

You obviously haven't met the Jbird. He was born in FL and spent his whole life in FL. He doesn't grow much of a winter coat - much less than our other horses. Much below 40 - especially at our place where the wind seems to always be blowing in the winter he needs a rug of some sort. If he doesn't have a blanket he will shiver and be miserable. How do you know he is miserable - if left to shiver overnight you'd better watch his teeth when you put him away to feed, he'll tell you about it.

He's a cold weather wimp. However, in the FL heat and humidity he can go all day long at pretty good speed. without much problems. While I have to put a blanket on him in the winter from time to time - actually quite a bit where I live - in the summer I have two horses that I clip because their summer coat is too heavy for them to work much in tropical heat and humidity with their summer coat.

So it really depends on the horse and the climate they have acclimated to.

Truman

Diane Trefethen wrote:
Debbie Kirchner wrote:
locate it... also open the shed away from the winter winds, we have
ours open on our south and East sides, the winds come from the North
and West here..
This is important and you won't know how the wind blows at your new place till you've been there a year or if the former owner can tell you. FWIW, horses are very comfortable in their winter coats at temps in the hi 20's through 50's. It is humans that get chilly. Even wet, mine don't get sick. Shivering isn't the expression of discomfort in a horse it is in a person. It's their way of increasing internal heat.

--

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." Niels Bohr -- Nobel Laureate, Physics