[RC] Run-in Sheds - WRSINOSKY

To all innovative horsepeople:

Since it looks like a go for our move to New Mexico, I want to pick everyone's brain in every group I know.  I would appreciate any and all information/suggestions/advice you all can give me in regards to building run-in sheds.

We are actually moving to an area with season changes, a far cry from the AZ desert near Phoenix. Here we have mare motels, which are open air pipe stalls with metal roofs.  Few people build barns in this area because the weather is hot and the horses need shade more than shelter from rain and wind.

Since we will get some snow, rain, etc., I want to build run-in sheds for the horses. Five of the horses will initially be in a 4 acre field (very little pickins' to eat, mostly scrub grass and bushes).  According to the Nat'l Weather Svc, it gets in the low 20's to mid 40's during the winter; mid 50's to mid 80's in the summer.

My questions are....what materials should we use to build the sheds. Yes, I want them to be 3 sided and I don't want to be constantly replacing boards from the little darlings eating the wood.  What do ya'll up north, or in climates similar to my new home, use for materials for the siding and roof?  This will only be for shelter from the weather.  I won't be feeding in there.

I have six horses, one is a stallion. Disregard him for the moment.  Four currently live together (3 mares, 1 gelding) and get along great with my mustang mare as leader. Doimas will come to live with the group. He's a gelding and gets along with the others, just likes to annoy and harrass, but since he's getting older and finally maturing, his nonsense will be at a minimum.

We are considering 32 ft. long and 16 ft. deep with a heighth of 8 ft.  My husband plans to use 3x3 steel poles for the uprights. He builds things to last and contain water buffalo, so I'm not worried about it falling down.  When we have big storms and high winds down here in AZ, nothing moves on our property.

There is already fencing, but it is comprised of a pole on top and hog wire. For the time being, we plan to use electric braid placed six inches out from the hog wire and 1/2" or 1" electric polytape for the top.

I just want to hear what other people have done to make safe, secure areas for their horses where there is wind, snow and rain.

Thanks in advance.

Cindy Edwards
Buckeye, AZ