[RC] [RC] found an Arab mare - ?? about pedigree - sherman

The first horse that came to mind was Dolly Decair’s Wazir’s Karahty, certainly an endurance horse. I don’t know how much he & the mare you are looking at have in common, but he does have Moniet el Nefous in his pedigree.

A neighbor’s horse rejected her 1st foal for a few days, her 2nd foal completely. The vet suggested it may have been due to painful delivery. She’s is an Arab and she herself was taken away from her dam at birth (kids thought it was funny) so they never bonded, and the problem seems to have been passed down the line.

Good luck,

Kathy

My mustangs would snort horse boogers all over me if they knew I was even asking this - but I've sort of fallen for an Arab mare. She is at a show farm that needs to reduce the herd - she's 5 or 6 and has rejected two foals, so they're selling her at a low price. She doesn't look like a show Arab to me, though - she fits the body type I personally like and I love her personality. I"ve spent all night *trying*to find out as much as I can about her pedigree, but I'm not a member of AHA and can't use their "DataSource" search index. I've looked at other pedigree sites online but can't find out much about the horses' achievements. She's 85% Egyptian bloodlines (breeder says) and the rest Polish. A while back there was a discussion about names that "screamed endurance" and I didn't see those names so I know she's not one of the greats - although I did see Aurab (several generations back, to be frank). Names in her line: *Aladdinn, *Kaseta, *Ibn Moniet el Nefous, Hayfaa, Abarat, Wazir, etc. I already know most of the horses in her pedigree are noted for their show records and not endurance, but I wondered if anyone could tell me whether any of these horses' offspring are also doing endurance and how they tend to perform? TIA

OT: what causes a mare to reject a foal? I've heard of mares rejecting their first foals if they're bred too young or tend to be high strung, but no one I know has had a problem with a mare rejecting two. I don't intend to breed her, so it doesn't matter - I just wonder if it might be caused by a health issue or mental issue I should be aware of. She didn't strike me as being nutty, and seemed quite friendly and sane. I would take her on a trial basis before purchase, but if the rejection should be sending up red flags I'd like to know ahead of time...